05 March 2012

05 March 2012 - Port Elizabeth, Humansdorp, Bike Riding, Popcorn

Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Hello everyone on the other side of the world,

This week on What I Learned In Africa: how to cut grass with a shovel!

Last Wednesday was our second trip into Port Elizabeth for Zone Conference. It's a 4-hour drive... I think that's the farthest distance in the mission from the Zone center. No special guests this transfer, but we had lots of good training on how to work with members and on prayer. On the way there we stopped for burgers in a town called Humansdorp. Just thought that was a funny name.
Humansdorp, South Africa

Well, you wanted every little detail so I'll just write down everything that comes to mind.

I had an ingrown toenail in kind of a weird spot (in the back of the toenail instead of in the corner). It got infected, the infection is gone now but it's still ingrown.

I know how to drive manual transmission now.

Our car broke down a week or so ago. The mechanic said the "clutch broke loose and sliced a hole in the gearbox." So I was riding bikes around Thembalethu for a few days. The first day was pretty hard for me, seeing as I haven't ridden a bike in 5 years, excepting our trip to Holland. Thankfully our car was fixed Friday but by the time I was getting used to biking.

The Senior Missionaries here in George, the Smiths, just got their visa to Namibia and left yesterday. They will be sorely missed. The Smith's are from Draper, Utah and came on their mission 1 or 2 months after I arrived. They're doing an 18 month mission so I'll see them when I get home. Elder Smith always has great stories to share, like how he started and ran an insulation business when he was 15. They now own several businesses together and are actually millionaires I think. You wouldn't think so meeting them. Their youngest son nicknamed Paco is currently on a mission in Johannesburg and they share his experiences with us. There is a new couple coming to George later this week. All I know about them is they are the Richins, from California, and they are "talented."
The George District watching paragliders
near the Map of Africa last P-day (Monday).
L to R: Elder Larrabee, Elder Farley,
Sister and Elder Smith, Elder Simpson

Elder Farley's brother-in-law is some kind of special forces sniper. He kills people for a living.

Did I tell you this is Elder Larrabee's last transfer? I'm killing my first companion! ('Dying' is a missionary term for going home. 'Killing' your companion means you are his last companion.) I wonder who my next companion will be...

I can now make popcorn in a pan. It's a lot cheaper.

Things that are expensive here: microwave popcorn, hot chocolate mix, hand sanitizer.
Well, I think that's it for now.

I haven't got any packages yet, but thank you for all the e-mail you send; I love every one.
Good luck in your efforts, you all sound busy.

-Elder Tekulve


Matthew 18:15
15) Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After your comment has been previewed it will post on the blog.