30 April 2012

30 April 2012 - Senior Companion

Hello again family and whoever else is listening in!

Most of the highlight this week was exchanges. That's when You switch places with another Elder in your district for a day for training purposes. On Wednesday I was with Elder Sheward. Because he's only just over a month old on mission that means that this is the first time I've been a "senior companion"! 10 days ago I turned 10 months old. I cannot believe that I'm almost a year on mission. It does not feel like anything like that long has passed. But then again, I can't remember much of home anymore. When asked what my favorite Muse songs were I couldn't remember any, and I used to love Muse... The old life feels like a strange dream and mission is my new reality. I'm sure anyone else who has gone on a mission can relate.

In the next 8 months over 80 missionaries (more than half of the mission) are going home. After their replacements come in I will be part of the few who are the 'face' of the South Africa Cape Town Mission to them. I feel like in the next 4 or 5 months will come a quick change to my situation.
I would like to say Happy Birthday to Nikolaas and congratulate him on finishing his Eagle Project. To Mariah and Noah I say: keep up the good work in your schooling and continue to be an example to those around you.

The George Branch's goal for the year is to split into two branches. In a meeting with the Branch Presidency we determined that the way to do that was not to baptize more people but to have a big focus on reaching out to those who once knew the blessings of the Gospel but have since fallen away.


Really the only interesting picture
I took in the past week.
Another chameleon
Elder and Sister Fowers were at church last weekend and gave a wonderful lesson in combined Priesthood and Relief Society about "ministering." They pointed out that ministering is not difficult and is within the reach of everyone there. I should have taken notes, but as far as I can remember ministering consists of:

  1. Knowing names and faces
  2. Reaching out in love
  3. Paying personal visits
  4. Strengthening faith
You don't have to be a missionary or even know much about the Gospel to do those things! The challenge was to pick one person they knew who was either not attending church or who had not heard of the Gospel and make specific plans to visit them that day. I think it was very effective and will strengthen unity in George.

As for yourselves, think about what you can do. Get to know the missionaries in your ward or branch. Missionary work is much more than just knocking on doors. When members get involved everything goes smoother and lives can be changed. In addition, please remember that we are disciples of Jesus Christ. Be worthy to represent him at all times and in all things and in all places that you may be in. We are a peculiar people and you never know who may be watching or whose heart you may touch with your kindness.

Elder Featherstone and Sheward are teaching an amazing young man who is full of zeal for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We only just met him, but I believe he will go far. He got to know us from an old woman he sat next to on a bus ride. They talked about religion and she shared with him what she knew about the Book of Mormon. She got his details which eventually made it back to us. I know that this person has been prepared to receive the truth. I don't even know who the old woman is, but I can imagine their joy will be great when they meet again, whether in this life or the next.

Well, there you go. That is my letter for the week. We've got a busy week ahead of us, so I'll talk to you all later. Next week I'll e-mail times that I'll be calling you on Mother's Day.
Love,
-Elder Tekulve

 
Revelation 2:10 - 11
10. Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
11. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After your comment has been previewed it will post on the blog.