26 September 2011

26 September 2011 - Alfonate's Baptism

Alfonate (in colorful sweater
with family), was baptized
Hello family (and everyone else)!

I didn't take many notes this week, so I'll have to roll back the mental clock a bit to remember what happened. A week ago seems like both a long and short time ago. It's weird.

First of all, I saw my first baptism here. Not a convert baptism, an 8-year-old baptism. Especially special was that it was the first baptism I myself have performed. You can really feel the Priesthood power working through you as you say those words. The baptismal font is a circular portable water tank in the backyard of the chapel, which itself is a rented store. Alfonate is extremely short, even for an African child. The top of his head was under my shirt pocket. You can see him and his family in [this] picture, ...the [group] picture was taken right after the baptism. There is one investigator in the crowd, and it's also a good cross section of the Port Alfred Branch. This is about half the active ward. At the far left are the Branch President Robinson and his wife. In front of me in the blue and white shirt is Sam, who is going on a mission to Ghana in December. 2 heads to my right is Brother Canny, who comes fellowshipping with us almost every day. He is very selfless and dedicated. And to his right is my companion Elder Barker.
LDS Branch members in Port Alfred, South Africa
Elder Brennan Tekulve is 2nd from right

Friday we had an interesting experience as well. We knocked on a door and was let in by who we found out to be a priest in the Old Apostolic church. He just let us in to be polite, and we weren't really getting anywhere. Then, Elder Barker saw on the table a printout of 'How Firm a Foundation' and closer inspection revealed the LDS Church logo. It turns out he has and uses about half of our hymnbook at his church. His daughter printed them out from the internet for him. Most he didn't know, so we explained the history behind 'Come, Come Ye Saints' and even sung 'Joseph Smith's First Prayer' for him. By the end he said he would tell everyone he met Elders from the church where those hymns came from, and he said it was an honor to meet us. He mentioned that he wouldn't join our church, but I know that whenever he sings or practices those songs, he'll think of us.

Kids waiting in line at the
Port Alfred Soup Kitchen [file photo]
The Book of Mormon
in Swahili
We are also doing a lot more service lately, like playing the piano and talking at a frail care home and volunteering at the Port Alfred Soup Kitchen.
If you still haven't watched the short movie called "Upon My Holy Day" on the first disc of the Doctrine and Covenants and Church History DVD then I highly recommend you do that with your family. It's a great message and explanation of the Sabbath Day.

The Zone Conference. It's small, but I'm behind Sister Wood
 in the red dress. 3 Zones, about a third of the mission, were there.

We continue to meet new and interesting people here in Port Alfred. I continue to experience firsthand the power of prayer and the wonderful guidance of the Holy Ghost. Practically daily we run into just the right situation, or randomly turn to just the right scripture. Truly the Lord is with us.
Port Alfred from nearby Station Hill
Elder Judd Cline, 1993 in
Johannesburg South Africa [file photo]

'Hi' to Elder Judd Cline and thanks for the pictures [taken during his mission in Johanesburg, South Africa]

-Elder Tekulve



NICOLAS CAGE 4: THE CAGENING,sequel to
 the riveting NICOLAS CAGE: THE MOVIE,
NICOLAS CAGE 2: RETURN OF THE CAGE,
and NICOLAS CAGE 3: WRATH OF CAGE














2 Nephi 4: 34-35
34 O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.
 35 Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After your comment has been previewed it will post on the blog.